The causes and effects of stress can be physical, psychological and even can affect your life as a couple and family. Stress is that feeling of not being able to embrace everything that we have to carry out in our lives. Causes and effects of stress from one place to another we hear people talk about the stressful life they lead, the burden of their work or simply the burden of a given situation. Surely you have felt that feeling that everything overflows, overwhelms and surpasses, returning your daily routine on a mountain steeper and steeper, difficult to climb to the top. Your body responds in a certain way to the different stimuli offered by the outside: family environment, friends, work, etc. But what is stress? It is a disease? Can you fight the effects of stress? We will comment more in depth on the characteristics and details of the so-called “21st century disease”.
If you know causes and effects of stress you can prevent it
Stress is a physiological reaction of the organism and you feel it when you perceive that your demands (what you have to do, your obligations) surpass your resources (the things you have to deal with daily life).
I emphasize “perceiving”. For example, before a math test a girl can feel very calm because she does not perceive it as a threat and her friend feels stressed because she thinks she will be suspended.
It is not, therefore, a fixed phenomenon that comes from external situations (an examination, a wedding, work), but depends on what you believe, and whether you think you can face the situation or not.
There are two kinds of stress:
- The negative that causes an excess of activation of the organism to external situations, maintained in the long term. It is what is colloquially known as “stress” and in the professional / sanitary world “distress“.
- The positive, which provides energy and activation necessary to overcome demands of situations, known as “esters“.
If you suffer negative stress for long periods of time, you can have negative consequences for physical and mental health, social relationships and work.
10 Main effects of stress in the body
Emotional or Psychological Level
Faced with great situations of chronic stress , personality becomes unstable: anger, anger and instability becomes a major concept within the personality. People become intolerant, hard, fueling their irritation.
The appearance of negative or catastrophic thoughts is common in severe anxiety states.
3-Loss of memory and slow thinking
The poor ability to fight the vicissitudes of the daily routine, wrapping the thoughts in a disorderly emotional tornado, without ideas or goals.
This has a huge impact on decision-making , forward thinking and vital progress.
The ultimate turning point of poor management of stress is depression.
Getting to this devastating disease is possible if we are not able to control and improve our responses to life situations.
In this sense, the help of a psychologist can be vital, to know useful tools to help us fight stress.
The stiffness of our muscles is probably one of the most common symptoms when we are faced with stressful situations.
In psychology, muscle tension is a natural symptom derived from nervousness, stress, etc. Headaches are associated with tension in the neck and shoulders. This you can combat with the technique of muscle relaxation.
Stress buildup can trigger chronic fatigue: headache, unrefreshing sleep, and intolerance.
According to Fernando Masilla, in his study “Chronic Fatigue: from the Susceptibility to Hypothesis of the Stress Chain in the Workplace,” the main symptoms of exposure to major stress episodes are fatigue, nervousness, digestive disorders and depressive states, Leading to chronic fatigue.
7-Lack of increased appetite
Stress affects eating behavior; Overeating or not eating are very common symptoms.
People who are on a diet are prone to overeating in stressful situations. On the other hand, a severe response of disgust or high concern can lead to a lack of appetite.
- Chest pain
Burnout syndrome or work stress
Surely you have heard of Burnout syndrome , maybe if we tell you that it is also called the “burn syndrome” and you begin to realize that we are talking. It is a type of stress related to work activity.
People who are lucky enough to have a job today can suffer from this emotional and physical ailment.
According to a study by the World Health Organization, 25% of the patients examined by the general practitioner have symptoms derived from work-related stress.
Symptoms of work-related stress
- Lack of energy.
- Mental Exhaustion
- Distrust and introversion.
- Alteration of sleep.
- Muscle pains.
Causes of work stress
- Great workdays.
- High responsibility positions
- Low labor conditions.
- Repetitive and tedious work
- Nil Fellowship and empathy
Have you recognized any symptoms or causes of burnout syndrome ?, Do not worry if you suffer from this work discomfort, then we will list a number of tips to reduce daily stress and be able to maintain a healthy emotional balance.
Tips for Relieving Stress
The response to stress starts with ourselves and the ability to cope with daily problems in our immediate environment.
We do not have to know how to act in each moment, therefore, it is safe, that sometimes we reach moments of tension, irritability and bewilderment, and our duty is to know how to leave that state.
Here are a few tips to help you minimize your stress symptoms:
- One of the biggest problems of the human being is that he does not know himself; few people spend a moment in their day to think about those who feel, how they are and what they want. Performing this task facilitates decision making and gives us security, a key element to fight against stress.
- Physical exercise. It is more than confirmed that physical exercise is essential to achieve a balance in our body. Among other benefits , it stimulates the production of endorphins, substances that favor the positive emotional state.
- Ability of abstraction. It is important not to focus your way of life and thinking on the causes of your stress, it is necessary to perform an exercise in abstraction and try to enjoy the small things that surround you: reading a book, walking, being with family or friends, etc.
- Rest is essential to face the new day with energy, strength and encouragement. If we start the day rested our body is prepared and alert to face the situations of the day to day. Mentally we will be fresh, fast and skilled in decision making, vital to enhance our responsiveness.
Life is not easy; in fact the human being has been responsible for making life difficult by giving a great value to such materialistic concepts as money, competitiveness and insensitivity.
In our hands this trust is more enriching values to be able to prop up a mood, able to fight against certain difficult situations, to feed one’s own knowledge is a good technique to begin to live more tranquil.