Many people are searching for how to deal with job stress, because workplace stress arises when a person perceives an imbalance between the demands that come from the environment (his workplace) and the capacity he has to respond to them, in situations where a failure can have negative consequences.
How to deal with Job stress
First of all we need to find the factors of job success. The following factors can cause stress at work:
1-Factors of the work place
- Not having the knowledge and experience to be able to perform well the job functions.
- Work overload.
- Lack of time to perform all tasks.
- Exposure to hazards (heights, radiations, gases).
- Work stress
2-Factors of the physical environment
- Hot or cold.
- Dirt, poor hygienic conditions.
- Lack or excessive lighting.
- Others: little space, disorder…
3-Factors of the company
- Little involvement in decisions is incumbent on us.
- Low salary or pay.
- Little autonomy.
- Liability for other employees.
- Night shifts.
- Relations with null or conflicting partners.
- Do not opt for promotions.
- Little adaptation to new technologies.
4-Factors of work-family conciliation
- Lack of adaptation to the culture of the company.
- Too demanding schedules that do not allow family obligations.
- Low flexibility.
What personal factors help in How to deal with job stress?
– Pattern of Conduct Type A: these are people concerned with professional promotions, who spend most of their lives working, engaged in many activities, hostile, impatient and very competitive.
Do you know about Types of Depression Symptoms ?
– Self – efficacy: it is the belief that we can effectively do an activity / conduct and have satisfactory results. In general, people with more self-efficacy tend to suffer less work stress.
– Social support: people with friends, family and partners can better defend against work-related stress.
– Place of control: People, who believe that what happens to them depends on their actions, tend to suffer less work stress. Those who believe that what happens to them does not depend on them, they suffer more work stress.
What are the symptoms of stress at work?
Altered behaviors: consumption of coffee, tobacco, drugs, lack of relaxation.
Psychological problems: depression, anxiety.
Psychosomatic disorders: endocrine disorders (hair loss, acne …), respiratory problems (choking, tachycardia, asthma …), gastrointestinal disorders (nausea, vomiting, gastritis …), neurovegetative disorders (hot flashes, Arrhythmia, tachycardia, hypertension …).
How can we deal with Job Stress?
1) Have more control over your work: plan your day, tasks and prioritize the most important thing you have to do. Leave it simple for the hours you are most tired. If you definitely have too much workload and you cannot do anything to avoid it, do not try to give more than you can and do not worry too much: worrying does not solve anything.
2) Seek social support: spend your free time with your family, friends, and seek new friends at work. This will help you feel that you are not alone. It is well known among labor psychologists that this is one of the factors that most helps to combat stress.
3) Learn actively: even if they are easy tasks like replenishing, become master of your work, become an expert in your area. This way you will always be looking for new ways to improve and you will not feel bored. Boredom is self-created, not on the outside.
4) Learn relaxation techniques: slowly inhale and send the oxygen to the lower part of the stomach, hold the air for a few seconds and then exhale slowly feeling the air rise.
5) Increase your self-esteem and self-efficacy: believe in your abilities to do a good job. Increase your self- esteem by eliminating negative beliefs about you and emphasizing the positive.
6) Take your free time: do sports, go to the movies, yoga classes, etc.
Remember to leave your opinions and experiences.