We live in a society where the physical image has acquired a great relevance. And even if we say that beauty is in the interior, the image of our body and the body of others matters to us a lot.
Negative Body Image
The body image is the mental representation we make of our body and the attitude we adopt in front of that image. It is not only what you see and think when you look in the mirror, but also how you imagine other people seeing you.
A good body image is characterized by seeing you as you really are, accepting your body and feeling good with your physical capacity. Therefore, it is not just the appearance.
How do I know if I have a negative body image?
A person has a negative body image when his body does not fit what he wants, what others want, or the ideal of prevailing beauty.
Another feature is that they feel bad, and may not see themselves as they are.
The consequence of having a negative body image is that it can affect your health and well-being. The worse your body image, the easier it is for anxiety disorders, depression, anorexia, bulimia, concentration difficulties, social isolation and avoidance of social situations where you have to show your body (exercise, go to the pool, go to Doctor or having sex).
7 strategies to improve my body image
As you can see, the body image must be taken care of, always in a healthy way. Therefore, I leave the following guidelines that will help you achieve it.
- Remember that health and appearance are 2 different things. The person you so admire may be sick.
- Accept and value your genes. You probably inherited a lot of familiar genes and that manifests in your body. That is why you should value it as much as you value your family.
- Make a list of qualities that are unrelated to your appearance.
- Surround yourself with people who make you feel good and do not value people just for superficial aspects.
- Treat your body well. Take care of it in a healthy and natural way. Try to get a party without obsessing. Hide the defects and power your virtues.
- Have realistic expectations. We cannot have the body of our favorite actor or actress.
- Every person is unique, and his body is also unique. So do not compare yourself. Value your differences, and do not look for the body similarities you have with others.