In this article I will explain 7 tips to stop gambling, return to your previous life and stop wasting your money. On the other hand, you have to keep in mind that you can do it, although you will have to persevere and be strong.
Tips to Stop Gambling
What is gambling (addiction to gambling)?
Gambling addiction or gambling is the psycho pathological tendency to play, in which the affected cannot resist the urge to continue playing.
Usually, this addiction was developed in three stages:
- Stage 1: Earnings that seem easy
- Stage 2: you lose money and you try to win it with an unrealistic optimism
- Stage 3: destabilization of gambling behavior, frustration.
This addiction often occurs alongside mental disorders such as anxiety, depression or alcoholism and has now increased due to technology; Heyday of smart phones and internet our tips to stop gambling will really help you to get back in your life.
Some doubts about gambling
I would like to clarify some doubts that usually have with the problem of the game.
- You do not have to play every day to have problems with the game. You have problems with the game if that causes you problems.
- The problem is not only economic. The game can cause a relationship to break or lose important personal relationships.
- The cause of playing is not from others. Some gambling addicts blame their partners for behaving like that. Doing so is avoiding responsibility for your actions, including doing what is necessary to overcome the problem.
- The problem with the game is not overcome by paying debts, but overcoming addictive behavior.
Symptoms of Gambling
Before going to explain tips to stop gambling we must know about the Symptoms of gambling. In gambling there are no obvious physical signs as if there are in addiction to drugs or alcohol.
In addition, gambling addicts often hide their addiction to others: they travel long distances to play and hide their close people.
You may have a problem with the game if:
- You play even when you have no money: bet until you have lost all the money, later you want to recover it using money from cards or money borrowed.
- Your family or friends worry about you: it’s because the game is affecting your life.
- You want to hide it: bets in secret and lie about what you bet or what you win.
- You lose control: you are not able to leave the play area when you lose.
1-Accept that you have problems with the game
The biggest step to take in the treatment of gambling is to accept that you have problems with gambling.
It takes courage and strength to do so, especially when you’ve lost a lot of money or relationships have been lost along the way.
However, it is a necessary step, and many people who have overcome this problem have had to give.
Overcoming the problem is not easy, although you can if you seek support and follow the treatment.
2-Make decisions and resists temptation
Before starting the game, the decision has been made to do so.
If you have the urge to bet, stop doing what you are doing and call someone or think about the consequences of your actions.
Do not pay attention to thoughts about the game and do something else immediately.
On the other hand, remember that the odds are against you. The normal thing is that you lose.
Do not see the game as an opportunity to get out of your economic problems.
Some ways to control the impulse are:
- Postpone the game: Tell yourself that you will play 5, 15 or 60 minutes later, depending on the time you think you can control. As you wait, the urge to play can pass
- Seek support: call family, friends or go to groups meeting with people with the same problem
- Do something else: clean, go to the gym, watch a movie …
- Avoid isolation: look for new ways to build personal relationships
- Think about the consequences and how you will feel if you fall into temptation
3-Control your money
You cannot play without money: get rid of credit cards, save and do not borrow money.
Let other people take care of your money, let the bank make the automatic payments and limit the amount of cash you can take out.
4-Plan your time
If not times to play you will not.
Plan healthy leisure activities that have nothing to do with the game.
5-Avoid places related to the game
Minimize to the maximum the possibility of playing avoiding the places nearby or that remind you of the places where you play.
You can also tell the establishment that you have problems with the game and ask them to restrict your entry.
Also, block your entry to betting websites. In Google extensions you have extensions that do.
6-Look for other activities instead of the game
It is worth reflecting on the different ways in which you try to deal with stressful or irritating situations.
Stress, depression, loneliness or anxiety can trigger or worsen game.
To get rid of work or family life there are many other activities with which you can have fun.
Much healthier activities that will have positive consequences on your health are.
- Spend time with friends
- Find new hobbies
- Relaxation techniques
- Read books
7-Practice cognitive-behavioral therapy
This therapy focuses on changing insurmountable thoughts and behaviors related to the game, such as rationalizations or limiting beliefs.
It also helps the gamblers to:
- Combat the urges you have to play
- Treat relational problems arising after addiction
- Deal with financial or work problems
Visiting a psychologist does not mean that you are weak or that you cannot control your problems, but that you are intelligent and responsible enough to realize that you need help.
8-Keep the recovery
When you overcome addiction, you may fall back.
For this, it is fundamental that you establish certain healthy habits that replace the game:
- To relax: sports, relaxation techniques, meditation or massages.
- To socialize: learn social skills , find new friends, go to an NGO, join classes of some activity …
- Loneliness or boredom: find a new passion like sport, music, art, books …